Switch my investments

Your Mine Pension account offers a range of investment options to help you meet your financial goals. These options are:

  • five pre mixed strategies
  • six asset class options.

We don’t charge fees for investment switches, and you can make a change at any time. 

Request a switch online

Log in to your online account using your member number or email address and password. From the main menu, select Manage my pension,then Change where my pension is invested


Request a switch by form

Download the Make an investment choice form. Fill in the mandatory fields and send your form by: 

  • post: Mine Super Locked Bag 2020 Newcastle NSW 2300;
  • fax: 02 4962 3469; or
  • email: help@mine.com.au

We'll make your switch

You’ll receive confirmation of this investment switch in writing after it’s been processed. If we have any questions about your request, we’ll get in touch with you.


Things to consider

If you want to invest in a term deposit, send us an Invest in a Term Deposit form or call us on 13 64 63. You can read more about our term deposit option in our Term Deposit factsheet.

Before you switch your investments, you should read our Product Disclosure Statement, understand the available options and consider your individual needs, goals, risk tolerance and investment timeframe. If you don’t make a choice, we’ll invest your money in our default Capital Guarded investment option, which is designed to meet the needs of people in retirement. 

If you’re unsure, don’t forget we’re here to help. You can give us a call on 13 64 63 or email help@mine.com.au

If your needs are more complex, we can put you in touch with a financial adviser from Mine Super Financial Advice.