Request a refund or reclassification

Employers can request a refund or adjustment if the wrong amount has been paid, incorrectly allocated, paid to the wrong employee or paid to Mine Super in error.

Fill in

Complete all mandatory fields. You’ll need to declare that the payment was made in error and include your employee’s consent to the adjustment on their account.


Send us your completed form by:


We’ll action your refund or adjustment and notify you when we’ve completed your request.